Thursday, November 3, 2016

Visiting A New Mom & Baby

If you've ever visited a new Mom you know that more than likely she's happy to receive an occasional visitor for some adult conversation. Over the Summer I visited a friend that is a new mom, and because it has been 16 years since I was a new Mommy, there were several things I had to keep in mind. While I was anxious to see her new bundle of joy, I couldn't help but remember all the things I wished I had the courage to tell people who visited me those years ago.

♥  Be considerate of their schedule and routines. It is important that you ask the family if they are open to having company, and when the best time to visit is. After you receive the green light to go see them, be flexible with your time. After all, baby is in control and chances are, everyone is winging it from moment to moment.



♥ Before you arrive, contact the family and ask if there is anything you can pick up on the way. You just might be saving them a unwanted trip to the corner store. New Mom's have so much to manage, what they need is a few more hours in the day (for a much needed nap), and another set of arms and legs. That stop for dish detergent, or cup of coffee could make their day. If you really want to save the day, take dinner for the family. They will sing your praises and dance a happy dance!

♥ If you're planning to take a gift, make sure it is thoughtful. A close friend and I used to have fun with giving each others children the kinds of gifts no parent would ever want to see their child open. Moon sand, noise makers and the ever popular play-doh are not the easiest to clean up, or live with. My personal favorite is something special for the new Mom. A gift card for her favorite spot is always a hit. Whether it's cupcakes, a spa day or a promise to babysit while she takes a nap, or goes out for a night on the town, spoiling a new Mom is always appreciated.


♥ Do not over stay your welcome! Babies and Mommies need their rest. Follow the babies lead and try to get a feel for the rhythm of their routine. If your gut is telling you it's time to say good-bye, it probably is. Especially if little one is fussy, or you know the family has a transition to make in their day. Your friend, or family member will surely appreciate not having an awkward moment and resuming her Mommy duties after catching up on all the latest.

I had such a great visit with my friend and her sweet baby, I hope your next new baby encounter is just as wonderful, and what I have shared helps to make it that much more special! n♥

No comments:

Post a Comment